cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1841 Router not loading IOS

jdoetsch85
Level 1
Level 1

I picked up a few routers/switches for CCNA/CCNP studies, and one of the routers had a bad checksum on its IOS, and thus wouldn't load.  I TFTP'd an IOS file from one of the other 2 routers (working), which succeeded, but now it won't load that IOS either. 

I get the error:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
<snip>

Upgrade ROMMON initialized
program load complete, entry point: 0x8000f000, size: 0xcb80

loadprog: bad file magic number: 0x0
boot: cannot load "flash:"

I've checked the confreg settings, and I've tried running the boot command specifically with the file in question.

Here's the dir output

rommon 1 > dir flash:
Directory of flash:

2 22486892 -rw- c1841-spservicesk9-mz.124-3a.bin

Any ideas?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Hello,

--> loadprog: bad file magic number: 0x0

This usually means that you either have a corrupted file, a physical problem with the DRAM, or you are trying to load an image that is incompatible with your platform (which could mean you don't have enough flash memory, or the image is not suited for the 1841).

Since this is a very old router, try and download another image from the site below. If that gives you the same error, it is probably a DRAM issue. Sometimes opening the chassis and simply reseating the DRAM can help...

http://tfr.org/cisco-ios/18xx/1841/

So just out of curiosity, I took the Compact Flash card from one of the working routers and swapped it with the one in the non-working router, and got the following results:

- CF card from non-working router loads fine in 2nd router
-CF card from working router does not load on non-working router

I think that indicates hardware issue of some kind.  I'll try the DRAM re-seating that you mentioned and hopefully that does something.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card