cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

A bit low level this one

cyberpete
Level 1
Level 1

A bit low level this one. However - I have 2 2500 switches connected to each other via ethernet & console cable. These are both remotely located but I CAN telnet into SW1 via our corporate infrastructre. The i/f leading to SW2 is showing down/down (getting cdp mulsticast but no layer3 -dont know why - need to access the 2nd switch - hence this post). So my manager wants me to reach SW2 by sticking an normal ethernet cable (x over presumably) into the CONSOLE ports. I think the console ports are not wired for this but could it be done so as to allow me to somehow connect from console port on SW1 to the console prt on SW2 ? Peter

2 Replies 2

umedryk
Level 5
Level 5

Then, there is no other way but for getting through the console access and giving the command no shut in the vty 04 line configuration mode. Once you do this, I think you should be able to get in using telnet, ofcourse, you need to configure telnetnet passwd as well...

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

You could probably connect the SW2 console port to the SW1 AUX port and configure it for access.

A straight-up ethernet cable may work (gotta check the pin-outs). The AUX port is supposed to AUTOBAUD and AUTO DCE/DTE.

It is a lower speed port than the console port, I believe it's limited to 38.4Kbaud.

If you wanna get wild with it, I think the CON / AUX ports can still support SLIP/CSLIP ... so you could drop an address on each and Telnet / SSH1 between 'em.

Good Luck

Scott

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card