Views
Helpful
Replies

Authentication Failed

choda489
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am unable to access a cisco router remotely as well as via console cable. Via console cable, it is showing Authentication Failed errors  on the black screens timely. But the router is working perfectly at the background. I have used USB console to USB cable for the connection between router and my PC. Please help me. 

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Do you mean , you forgot the password(s) , ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Dear marce1000 Sir,

The username and password options is not coming in the screen. The following errors is displaying when i access the router via console.

enter  RETURN to start.

Authenticatio errors.

Authentication errors

Hello!

Which router do you have?

BR

****Kindly rate all useful posts*****

Hello,

It is cisco ASR920 Series-24 ports GE and 4ports 10G license

>>> Via console cable, it is showing Authentication Failed errors  on the black screens timely. <<<

with "timely" you possibly mean repeatedly ?
this could indicate that another host is periodically trying to login (monitoring server?) and authentication fails every time!
a reason for this could be the radius or TACACS+ server is unreachable or not functioning properly.
or the authentication server where the user database is stored (windiws Active Directory ?) is unreachable
or the account is locked out after repeated  login failures
-> you need to investigate this at the respective authentication server
we need more information of the environment and configuration to troubleshoot this further

<<<<with "timely" you possibly mean repeatedly ?>>>

Yes it is coming repeatedly.

<<<<this could indicate that another host is periodically trying to login (monitoring server?) and authentication fails every time!>>

During that time,  I was only the one who is trying to login and no other host has tried. 

<<<<or the authentication server where the user database is stored (windiws Active Directory ?) is unreachable
or the account is locked out after repeated  login failures>>>

To put the username and password options is not coming on the screen. The following errors is displaying repeatedly.

>>enter  RETURN to start.

>>Authentication errors.

>>Authentication errors

- Ref : continuous errors seen
                           >>enter  RETURN to start.
                           >>Authentication errors.
                           >>Authentication errors

- The errors may be related to an IPsec tunnel not coming up , blocking your logins too , one alternative could be to factory reset the device and restore the configuration from backup , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card