Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP LookinGlass Question

Joshua Engels
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,

I just recently setup two 2911 Routers on two different service providers with BGP advertising one prefix.  I have heard about something called BGP lookinglass and was wondering if you guys could shed some light on what this can do for me in my testing as well as what is a good site to use.  Any information will be helpful to get me going in the right direction. 

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George Horton
Level 1
Level 1

BGP looking glass is a really useful tool. Many ISPs host their own and allow public access to them.

Some are just web pages which allow you to search an IP and show the possible AS paths to that IP, others use a command line interface which looks and feels like a cisco router, from here you can run your 'sh ip bgp' commands.

Have a look at http://www.bgp4.as/looking-glasses for some looking glass servers.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

This is something different and relates to ISP environment. These typicall run by their NOCs.

BGP Looking Glass servers are computers on the Internet running one of a variety of publicly available Looking Glass software implementations. A Looking Glass server (or LG server) is accessed remotely for the purpose of viewing routing info. Essentially, the server acts as a limited, read-only portal to routers of whatever organization is running the Looking Glass server. Typically, publicly accessible looking glass servers are run by ISPs or NOCs.

This page presents an overview of BGP Looking Glasses all over the world. If you'd like to install a BGP Looking Glass in your ISP environment, you will find several Looking Glass implementations in any BGP Software section.

HTH
Please click on the correct answer if this answered your question.
Regards,
Naidu.

rais
Level 7
Level 7

There are multiple of them here.

Personally, I prefer route-servers. One of them is available at: telnet://route-views.on.bb.telus.com

HTH.

George Horton
Level 1
Level 1

BGP looking glass is a really useful tool. Many ISPs host their own and allow public access to them.

Some are just web pages which allow you to search an IP and show the possible AS paths to that IP, others use a command line interface which looks and feels like a cisco router, from here you can run your 'sh ip bgp' commands.

Have a look at http://www.bgp4.as/looking-glasses for some looking glass servers.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: