Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Soft-Reconfiguration command not found

ShaikatAhmed99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am facing a problem. Would appreciate to have suggestions. 

When I am trying to write the command "neighbour ***** soft-reconfiguration inbound" in ASR 1000, it is not taking the command, Searched for suggestion but not showing any command like this. I am confused here.

Thank you.

6 Replies 6

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

It is possible that you are using the address-family style of BGP configuration. There, the general configuration of a neighbor is at the router bgp level but a per-AF behavior, including the soft reconfiguration, has to be enabled in the address family section, like this:

router bgp 1
 bgp log-neighbor-changes
 no bgp default ipv4-unicast
 neighbor 192.0.2.1 remote-as 2
 !
 address-family ipv4
  neighbor 192.0.2.1 activate
  neighbor 192.0.2.1 soft-reconfiguration inbound
 exit-address-family

Can you try this out?

Best regards,
Peter

Hello,

make sure you got the syntax right:

neighbor x.x.x.x soft-reconfiguration inbound

not

neighbour

Hello
Just like to add, The rtrs should also be able to support the bgp route-refresh capability which would enable you soft reset for NLRI updates as such soft reconfiguration wouldnt really be required and is a older way of storing unfiltered/edited copy’s of bgp routes which is actually more resource intensive to the rtr.  

You could way to check if your rtrs supports RR by:
sh ip bgp neighbors x.x.x. | s neighbor capabilities

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

100% agree. In my experience, every BGP implementation I've worked with already supports the RFC 2918 Route Refresh, and it's on by default.

This being said, it seems that quite a few customers want to keep using Soft Reconfig as a diagnostic tool - to see what routes came from the neighbor in the first place, even before they're subject to inbound routing policies. From this point of view, I have to admit that the Soft Reconfig is a very useful diagnostic and troubleshooting tool. But exactly as you pointed out, it comes at a price of a higher memory footprint which may be, depending on the amount of routes to store, quite significant.

Best regards,
Peter

I think ASR has different than IOS, 

under neighbor config soft.

Hello,

Perhaps you mean ASR9000 series that runs IOS-XR. However, the original poster mentioned ASR1000 which is definitely running IOS-XE.

Best regards,
Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco