Views
Helpful
Replies

C4507 VSS strange issue

Martynas
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Recently I encountered strange problem at my work. In the network main routing is done by two c4507 switches stacked with VSS. All hosts on one of the switches can't reach subnet B, but this happens only on one of the c4507 in the stack, the other one doesn't have this problem. To understand it more clearly, I attached a picture

Also other strange thing is: while the host has a problem reaching subnet B, it doesn't have any problems reaching tens of other subnets, or the internet, but once again this problem can be solved by connecting the host to the other switch in VSS stack.

Tried to do packet capture and the traffic from host connected to C4507 SW1 arrives at the interface but doesn't go out the anywhere. I check dropped packet counters and they stay at 0.It feels like traffic trying to reach subnet B, just disapears if it's coming from hosts connected to C4507 SW1

I tried to reset switching cards with hw-module reset, but it didn't solved my problem. Next thing that comes to mind is rebooting the problematic switch in the stack. Obviously rebooting will be done during scheduled downtime. Is there anything else that can be done before trying to reboot? 

Top example v2.png

Any advice what do to, besides rebooting switch would be helpful.

EDIT: Solution was switch 1 reboot.

18 Replies 18

Re-seat switch 1 supervisor card.

I thought about it but, it's the standby supervisor in the pair of two c4507. Would it still make sense to re-seat it?

Well, I'd re-seat Switch 1 first and then re-seat Switch 2 next. 

That way, Switch 1 will get promoted to Active.  

Hello

from vss and sw 3
sh port-channel sum

sh int port x
sh lacp neigbour
sh run int port x
sh run int x/x (physcal interface of the PC)

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card