Views
Helpful
Replies

Can one apply Variable QoS across multiple VRF domains

MohaLeen1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Community

The below is a scenario which I’m investigating, and would like to know if it is possible to implement.

We are currently looking at installing an ASR with 3 VRF.

VRF1 – to be used for Guest

VRF2 – to be used for VOIP

VRF3 – to be used for corporate Data Traffic

We will manage various clients connected via an MPLS network, each client will have 3 distinct VLANS (CORP, VOIP & Guest), regardless of who the client is, when their traffic reaches the ASR it will be routed to the appropriate VRF. For example Client 1,2,3…N voice traffic will flow through VRF2, while Client1,2,3…N Corporate Data traffic will be routed through VRF3 etc.

The challenge is: We would like to be able to apply QoS on a per client basis across all 3 VRFs based on each client’s consumption of the ISP’s assigned CIR. We would therefore need to be able to analyse the bandwidth for each client within all 3 VRF and then apply QoS to ensure that they each remain within their allocated CIR percentage. For example VOIP VRF will consume 60%, Data 30% and Guest the remaining bandwidth, so if Client 1 gets a total of 3 Mb CIR and a 5Mb MIR, we need to be able to confgure QoS to look into Client 1 overall consumption of its allocated resource across all 3 VRFs and prioritise/queue traffic accordingly and independently from Client 2. Noting that different clients can be given different CIR and MIR.

I have spent a considerable amount of time investigating this, but I have not been able to conceptualise any way where this would work without bridging the VRFs which defeat the purpose of creating them in the first instance. I am having some doubt with regards to its feasibility

I hope to have explained this sufficiently. I appreciate any response and suggestions.

Thank you.

1 Reply 1

Hi MohaLeen1,

I haven't seen an answer to your question. I have a similar issue, could you find a solution yourself and if yes would you like to share the solution with me?

Many thanks Norbert

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card