Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1900 Throughput 15Mbps?

Ricardo Duarte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

About the 1921, I can see the following on the Cisco site:

- The Cisco 1900 Series enables deployment in high-speed WAN environments with concurrent services enabled up to 15 Mbps.

- Circuit-speed performance up to 25 Mbps with concurrent service

I don't need any VPN/IPSEC functionality. Just NAT and firewall.

From the datasheet, I'm lead to think I can only get a maximum of 15mbps from my WAN link, even if it can deliver more throughput.

But this value is quite low, compared to, say, an ASA5505 and even other non-enterprise devices.

Also, why does the router ships with 1Gbps when it can only reach 15Mbps?

Can someone give me some hint on how to read this value? Is this a soft limit? Can I never reach, say, 100mbit/s? What would I lose if I buy an ASA5505 instead of a 1921?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

NAT and firewall take processing capacity, just like VPN. No low end routing device will run at link protocol negotiation speeds. If they did, why would there be a need for higher priced products?

You need to match your network requirements with the appropriate equipment given a budget constraint. All NGO professionals operate under this 3 way constraint model.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

But ASA 5505 looks like a more powerful device for a cheaper , for nat and security.
What do I get with the router that i cant do with ASA?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

The ASA is quite limited in what you can do with dynamic routing protocols. The router gives you a much wider choice of dynamic routing. The router has many features, such as Policy Based Routing, that the ASA does not have. The router gives you a much wider range of choices for Quality of Service than the ASA. The router suppports a range of interface types while the ASA gives you support for only Ethernet.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card