cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2851 ISR router as home router ??

HaKLin760
Level 1
Level 1

I just recently bought (cheep) a cisco 2851 ISR, and now i would like to know if that could serve as a home router with ftp, web, mail and a gameserver on the inside ???

I'm not that confident with setting this thing up, its been 16 years since i read ccna and ccnp :)

So all help with this is very much appreciated ..

brgds

Håkan Lindh

4 Replies 4

Yes, the router will handle that just fine. At least if you don't mind having a noisy device in your home. A simple c800 would also do the job without any noise and much less power consumption.

Basically, after setting up interfaces and the default-route, you need to configure outgoing NAT and port-forwarding to your internal servers. 

ok, i thank you all for your answers and will try and find a better router solution for my home :)

brgds

Håkan Lindh

A 2851 router is a pretty good home router.  The thing to keep an out for is the fan arrays.  As long as the blades don't get accumulation of dust cakes the humming of the fans are "tolerable".  The dust cakes accumulate at the tip of the fan blades and because the dust cakes form an uneven (and sometimes rough) surface it is this that causes vibration and harmonics discrepancies with the blade "slices" through the air.  

Regularly keeping the blades clean can keep the router quiet.  

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

agree with all that karsten mentioned about the 2851.

personally, i would go either for a 871w or 1841 since they're not bulky and noisy.

the internal fans on a 28xx gets problematic if it gets dusty or if the router hasn't been turned ON for a long time. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card