Views
Helpful
Replies

Distributing Aggregated Bandwidth

ravinderrajput
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I work for a company that is about to start a small ISP. The company is planning to buy STM1 bandwidth from two service providers and distribute it among potential customers. It has already proucred IPs and AS No. from APNIC and would be running BGP with both the service providers. The last mile will be either OFC or Radio. I have been asked to look into the ways to distribute the bandwith to the customers. Some of my queries are.

1. Do we need to implement traffic shaping or traffic policing.

2. Where will it be done on router or on switch.

3. How do we configuring IP addressing and routing for the end clients.

4. What configuation is required to give bandwidth to users who have their own IP and AS No.

5. How do we do achive load balancing and fault tollerence with the two service providers.

I may be asking for too much of information, but any help would be appreciated. Also, advice for suggesting readings would be welcome.

1 Reply 1

Hi,

1. Do we need to implement traffic shaping or traffic policing.

- Not neccessary, but always preferred, if you are giving different bandwidth and different SLA to your clients.

2. Where will it be done on router or on switch.

- Depends whether you are planning for switched network or routed one.

3. How do we configuring IP addressing and routing for the end clients.

- If you don't have limitation on using private IP space, go ahead and use it.

4. What configuation is required to give bandwidth to users who have their own IP and AS No.

- If clients has got their own IP and AS, then you need to go for BGP and for bandwidth control, use policy-maps.

5. How do we do achive load balancing and fault tollerence with the two service providers.

- If both are giving you BGP routes, then their are various ways.

for examle, advertise half of the network to ISP1 and other half to ISP2.

and for fault tolerance, again it depends whether you are terminating ISP links on single route or 2 different routers.

HTH,

Smitesh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card