Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Neighbors establishing over l2 tunnel rather than over l3 P2P

Joe19
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, 

I am trying to put together a lab and am seeing problems. 
As shown in the diagram I have a couple of end users at the bottom, 2 access switches and then 2 L3 switches in the distribution layer. 
My aim was to route between the 2 VLANS that the end users sit on at the bottom via EIGRP in the distribution layer. 

I have connectivity between the two production VLANs:

OfficeHost1#tr 10.1.20.50

Type escape sequence to abort.

Tracing the route to 10.1.20.50

VRF info: (vrf in name/id, vrf out name/id)

1 10.1.10.3 1004 msec 3 msec 3 msec

2  *  * 

10.1.20.50 9 msec

(This may be going over the l2 trunk in the access layer I am not sure) 

Neighbors on distribution layer: 

DistributionSW1#sh ip eigrp nei

EIGRP-IPv4 Neighbors for AS(50)

H   Address                 Interface              Hold Uptime   SRTT   RTO  Q  Seq

(sec)         (ms)       Cnt Num

3   10.1.99.3               Vl999                    11 00:18:06 1991  5000  0  10

2   10.1.20.3               Vl20                     14 00:18:07    4   100  0  9

1   10.1.10.3               Vl10                     10 00:18:10 1999  5000  0  6

0   172.16.1.2              Gi3/3                    13 00:18:43    1   100  0  4

My issue is, when I shut the trunk down between my two access switches I lose my 3 VLAN Neighbor adjacencies and I am just left with the 172.16.1.X nei via int gi3/3. The L3 switches must be establishing these adjacencies via the l2 trunk but I cannot figure out why. 

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong here if I am honest, I have noticed that in most examples of the Cisco switch enterprise composite network model there is not a link between the access switches, but taking that out is what is causing me to lose said adjacencies. 

PS. I just realised my diagram is incorrect, the P2P link between the distribution layer is obviously "no switchport" and should not be labelled as a trunk. 

Switch Topology .jpg

2 Replies 2

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
could you input here your project in gns3 extension or all configuration of devices?
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Hello

@Joe19 wrote:

EIGRP Neighbors establishing over l2 tunnel rather than over l3 P2P

I think this is your problem!

It looks like your not extending your L2 so you should have L2 interconnects when your wanting to extend the L3 down to the access layer, its either one of the other.

If you want L3 for distribution and access layer then remove the trunks between the two access layer switches and have the interconnect between the distribution switches as a access port assigned to a mgt vlan for eigrp peering and the same between distribution and access layer.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card