cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP : passive-interface

GeneBeamer
Level 1
Level 1

While looking at wireshark I noticed some EIRGP HELLO packets on a wireless vlan. The vlan is routable and it sits on our layer 3 switch.  I would like to disable the HELLO packets because there will never be a router sitting in those networks. Are their any downsides to sitting up eigrp passive-interface our my layer3 vlans ?                   

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The only downside is if you have neighbors on those vlan interfaces. Otherwise, if you don't, you can set them to passive but still advertise their subnets and they would be reachable just like the are now. If you have neighbors on the interface though, you'll drop the neighbor and eigrp would cease to function on that interface.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

using Eigrp passive-interface command , it will suppresses the exchange of hello packets between two routers, which results in the loss of their neighbor relationship.Other than this shouldn't cause any downsides.

---

Posted by WebUser Marwan Hassan from Cisco Support Community App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card