cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to stop output from ios command

yvarzari
Level 1
Level 1

How to break output of a show command in cisco ios?

Thanks!

11 Replies 11

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi,

use SHIFT+CTRL+6 or SHIFT+CTRL+6+x.

Perhaps I am not correctly understanding the question from the original poster but it seems to me that there is a more simple answer. If you have executed a show command (perhaps something like show log) and you get a page of output and the more prompt then all you need to do to break out of the output is to type some character (like q for quit) and it will break out of the show output and return you to the command prompt.

There are some commands, traceroute being one that comes to mind, where you would need shift + ctrl + 6 to break out. But for show commands something more simple should work.

If I have misunderstood something in the question then perhaps the original poster can give some clarification.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Probably you're right and I agree with you. I guess OP should elsborate more

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

hey rick,

i've learned something new from you today (great to start 2012). i tried typing 'q' after issuing show run and returned me to the CLI prompt

John

It is a great start and I hope that the rest of 2012 is outstanding for you

The default for most show commands (show tech is an exception that comes to mind) will display a page of output and then display the "more" prompt. If you do carriage return/enter then you get a single additional line, if you press the space bar you get an additional page of output, and if you type some other character then it terminates the display and returns you to the command prompt. Most Cisco devices will do that for any character that you type and some, such as the ASA, will only do it if you type the letter Q.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you everyone for the answers. The "q" is what I was looking for. How simple!

I am glad that we were able to suggest a solution that did answer your question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I am glad that we were able to suggest a solution that did answer your question.

It is scary that Rick was able to read the mind of the OP.

lol. i've been reading his recent posts and it quite resembles something like that.

rick,

thanks again for the tip! i've been used to typing ctrl+c.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you elaborate?  I don't understand what you are trying to do or achieve.

rakuntal
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Ric, this 'q' magic showed my lot of time

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card