Views
Helpful
Replies

ip route command - 'name' keyword

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi all,

i'm trying to understand a static route on one of our router and found a 'name' keyword being used on one of its static routes. i've searched on cisco for this keyword (see URL below) but i still don't get it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/iproute/command/reference/1rfindp1.html#wp1054112

is the keyword just like a 'remark' used in ACL or some sort of policy/route-map? i tried to dig further using show run | i <name> but no there's no output. a sample would be like below. thanks in advance!

ip route 172.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 10.0.0.1 name Seattle2Detroit

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

AJ Cruz
Level 3
Level 3

Sounds to me like it's just informational.

" If you have several static routes, you can specify names that describe the purpose of each static route in order to more easily identify each one."

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, it's used like an ACL remark or a VLAN name.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

AJ Cruz
Level 3
Level 3

Sounds to me like it's just informational.

" If you have several static routes, you can specify names that describe the purpose of each static route in order to more easily identify each one."

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes, it's used like an ACL remark or a VLAN name.

Hi guys,

Thanks for clearing my doubts!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card