Views
Helpful
Replies

Laod balancing

ravirepaka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two routers RA and RB dedicated for internet connections,RA is terminated with service provider ISPA and RB is terminated with service provider ISPB.We want to acheive fault tolerance and load balancing between the two links.kindly advise me which one will be the best solution,either multihoming with BGP or just static routes.Also if you guys have any other alternate solution you are welcome to suggest that.

4 Replies 4

jerry.marsh
Level 1
Level 1

This is a complex issue. First, is the issue of Inbound vs Outbound load balancing. If you use BGP, then the two ISPs will deliver BGP route information to you and you get to decide how you want to use that information to "load balance" the traffic outbout. By default the "BGP best AS path" will determine which ISP wins. The same is true for inbound. The two ISPs will advertise your Internet AS number and you basically have no control how some distant location will choose which ISP's path to use to get to you.

If you use static routing, this ONLY affects outbound traffic. You can configure this to load share outbound, but again you will not have any control over the inbound routing.

Hi Jerry,

Thank You for the reply and the information you provide,Well I would like to re-frame my requirement.Using BGP is it possible to load share/load balance the traffic between the two links that are getting terminated to two routers at my side from single single ISP?

Yup, you can do this - BGP gives you the flexability to do most things (including shoot yourself in the foot).

If the ISP sends you a full table in both places you have many knobs you can use to tune your outgoing traffic. You can ask that they send you meds, you can use route-maps to set local-pref based upon various attributes (customer routes up one circuit, various ranges, path lenght, etc, etc.). As for incomming traffic, because you connect to a single ISP they should let you break up your announcment in any way you want - after all, you are paying them - so you could announce your entire network through both circuits (for failover) and more specifics tagged with community "no-export". This will keep the more specifics local to your ISP and not polute everyone elses tables. You could also see if your ISP will accept MEDs from you which MAY be a bit easier.

You could also ask your ISP for a bit of help configuring this, after all, you are their customer.

There is a great book by John Stewart called BGPv4. It is really short, easy to read, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201379511/qid=1115931074/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-9154441-9947947?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I highly recommend getting and reading this, shouldn't take more than a few hours to read and will give you enough information to configure BGP in a way that works for you.

Hi Wkumari,

Thanks for the information you provided,hope the link helps me in solving the problem

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card