Views
Helpful
Replies

link failure detection

Antonio_1_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Here is the topology/scenario: primary optical link between CPE and PE, and backup 3G/ADSL link between CPE and PE.

I am considering link failure detection on primary link (after which backup link should take over).

Does anybody know which method is the least CPU intesive:

1) BGP protocol between CPE and PE

2) RIP protocol between CPE and PE

3) BFD on static routes on PE

Is there difference in terms of CPU load between above mentioned methods or they are more or less the same?

Hardver platforms are sup720 BXL and Cisco 7200 G2.

Thanks in advance,

A.

4 Replies 4

shivjain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

You can use BFD for faster detection as it is a bit CPU intensive. BGP could be leverage if you are not looking for fast detections.

Both has a difference as BFD works as physical interface level where s BGP works as application level.

regards

shivlu jain

Hi Shivlu,

Thanks for your answer but I'm looking for the least CPU intensive solution, since It will be a huge amount of these links.

(fast detection is not the primary concern). I would use even RIP if it is far least CPU intensive (or any other method if there is one)

Regards,

A

shivjain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

I can think the below various options:-

1. Use static route if you are using point to point link. In this case if your route will vanish from the table as the next hop becomes unreachble. don;t use this method if you are using switch in between the links.

2. Another method is to use any dynamic protocol. Would recommend go with BGP as you will get lot of functionality and it sends the updates only when required.(Use this if you have huge number of routes)

3. If you have less routes and hop count is not an issue then you can go with RIP, OSPF or EIGRP. (OSPF doesn;t work good in Hub and Spoke topology)

regards

Shivlu Jain

Thank you Shivlu.

A.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: