Views
Helpful
Replies

Python config help

PLC
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

Need some help with python script. I never used python before. I need to deploy tacacs config for con0 and aux line to all routers and switches.

I have Python 2.7.13 installed on my windows 7

1. I have a router I want to test it by deploying script to it via telnet. How do you suggest i do that while having this router connected to a production network? My thought is to not have any routing enabled and only configure a loop back on the router with an IP address that is routable via the production network. Best practices?

2. I have attached what i have so far scripted very rough draft. I have no idea how to deploy it with python via telnet and what the script is lacking. would i put the IP address of the router where it says "(HOST)". Can anyone give me some pointers?

Thank you!

33 Replies 33

Hi Francesco,

It's going to take me a bit to get a router test on since I had to deploy the one I had.

I attached a very basic one. I wanted to make sure I get the basic concepts because i will have to explain in a project plan what the script is doing and test it. Plus it was easier to find what was wrong when it didnt work.

so originally the scripts never worked because I found that I had a no aaa new model and did not have that enabled so the commands didnt work at all when running the script. Once I identified that I enabled and ran my script which worked up to the point of configuring the aaa global config mode BUT it didnt work all the way. I saw that the login configuration under line con 0 and aux 0 had no configuration.

Thanks for you help.

P

Ok you script seems good.

Let me know when you'll have your router to test if you face some issues.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi,

So with my simple script that I sent you I did run into an issue.

it configures global config mode the aaa but when going into line con0 and line aux it does not configure. I will have a router to test next week. but any ideas why?

Hey

By looking at it in details, behind your line command you did /n instead of \n

Correct that and try again.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card