cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router selection for BGP routing to a Service Provider

gp1200x
Level 2
Level 2

We have a fiber service provider and they have agreed to allow us to use an old Class C range that we have been sitting on for years.

They said they can static route to us or we can use BGP with them. Our speed will be limited to 100Mbps for now but we can bump it up at any time. This is only 1 of six ISP connections we have but this one is unique - our IP address space.

I am having a hard time getting specs and throughput  on Cisco routers. I used a 1921 router with Verizon with BGP for an IPSEC  tunnel connection but it had low bandwidth requirements.

What router should I go with the can run BGP and support a wan connection of say 300 to 500 Mbps in the future?  The Cisco 890 series has Gig connections but that doesn't mean it can handle the processing. I would want Gb on both Wan and LAN, and possible more than one on the LAN.

Should I be looking at a 1921, 2911,2921 ISRs ????

I think they all run BGP in IPBASE feature set correct?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

gp1200x
Level 2
Level 2

adawa
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, BGP is already available at IP Base, where IP Base is usually the technology package that comes with Cisco ISRs. Have you already spoke to your provider (Verizon) about supporting this kind of WAN performance?

Kind regards. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card