Views
Helpful
Replies

Serial Interface

dcanady55
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon,

This is probably a basic question but one I'm having trouble finding any info on.

I have two routers and they have a point to point connection. I'm making some network maps and trying to document physical connections. On the one locations router there is only one T1 so I don't have to worry about that port. However, on the other end it goes into 2851 which has many T1's coming into it. When I look at the show run of the 2851 I get the following output for the location I'm looking to document.

interface Serial0/0/1:0

description "T1 to Pio (1)"

I did come across a command "show inventory" that gives me a lot of info but is there a way for me to remotely find out which exact port on the 2851 that this T1 comes into based of the output in blue above?

Thanks,

Derek

3 Replies 3

bolds04
Level 1
Level 1

Derek,

If I understand your question correctly, you should be able to do "Show CDP Neighbor" command on either side of the Point-to-Point link.  This will show what is connected and on what interface. 

Based on what you provided, the T1 is on port 1 on slot 0 card.  So depending on what card you have we know that it's on slot 0 and port 1.  Other than that we would need to know what module you have in the router. 

Hope this helps. 

Brandon

Thanks for the response. Based on you comment can you use the "show cdp neighbor" just on one interface or is this something that runs on all of them? I want to make sure I run this on only internal facing circuits for security sake.

Thanks,

Derek,

When you run "Show CDP Neighbor" command it shows what Cisco devices directly connected that are also running CDP.  So if you have a device on the far side with CDP turned off then you won't see it. 

You can turn off CDP globally or on a per interface basis.  Let me know if this clears things up. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card