cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SFP link on one switch but not the other

oliver
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I've bumped up against a problem I can't fathom.  I have two 4948-E Catalyst switches.  If I plug a SFP module into the first switch with a fibre connection it brings the link up without any problem.  If I plug the same fibre link and SFP module into the second switch it doesn't come up.  However, if I plug two SFP modules into the second switch, and join them together with a fibre patch lead then both ports come up.  One SFP in the first switch and one in the second and the first switch shows the port up but the second doesn't.

Has anyone seen anything like that before, or would anyone have any idea what might be causing it?  Any thoughts would be much appreciated.  It's as if the second switch is requiring a much higher light level, but the problem remains when using the same SFP module that works in the other switch.

3 Replies 3

mattjones03
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Oliver,

Is this a new fibre connection that you are trying to provision?

Are the A and B end cross on one side of the connection?

Hi mattjones03, it is a new connection but I've tried it with a 1m patch lead between switches and other devices that i know.  They work fine in one but not the other.  I've checked AB ends to be sure.

Hi Oliver,

Is that problem solved?

Could I have your share experience about this problem?

Thank you so much

B R 

Jerry 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card