Views
Helpful
Replies

Some questions regarding GRE and VRF Limits on Cisco Routers

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi All

I wonder if any body could answer any/all of the following questions or point me in the direction where I might find this information? I am currently looking on the Cisco site and via Google, but no luck with answers so far

1. Is there a maximum number of VRF's that can be configured on a router and is this figure platform/OS dependant?
  2. Is there a maximum number of GRE tunnels that can be configureed on a router and is this figure platform/OS dependant?
  3. Can bandwidth limits be set on GRE Tunnels in both directions?
  4. If IPSec were used instead of GRE, can bandwidth limits be set in both directions?
  5. IS VRF and GRE functionality available on all routers, from 800's up?

If anybody could answer any of these questions it would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Michael

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Michael,

>> Is there a maximum number of VRF's that can be configured on a router and is this figure platform/OS dependant?

yes I haven't a link to a table of these limits but they exist

>> Is there a maximum number of GRE tunnels that can be configureed on a router and is this figure platform/OS dependant?

yes, it depends from the IDB limits a table that contains the limits see

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_tech_note09186a0080094322.shtml

>> Can bandwidth limits be set on GRE Tunnels in both directions?

not totally clear to me, you can police or shape traffic on physical interfaces in outbound direction, the traffic classes can represent different GRE tunnels and/or you can take advantage of hierarchical QoS when it is supported

>>

1. If IPSec were used instead of GRE, can bandwidth limits be set in both directions?

GRE tunnels are more handy for routing purposes and they can be put inside IPSec, however again as above

IPSec introduces further performance penalties on devices without an hardware based encryption engine

>> IS VRF and GRE functionality available on all routers, from 800's up?

GRE is supported on 800 series routers and above, VRFs may start from something else

http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

search by feature: VRF lite

notice that VRF lite is only a subset of full MPLS L3 VPN that doesn't use MPLS forwarding and control planes

877 and other are listed on supported platforms

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card