Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble Advertising same subnet across multiple MPLS, Multiple DCs

MJRodman21
Level 1
Level 1
To keep it super simple, I have the following:

Two Data Centers that have a static path to a subnet through a private connection - that subnet is 10.80.0.0/16
Each data center attaches to two different MPLS Providers, each of those have a single router in the DCs. 4 DC MPLS Routers, two in each location...

Branch Office has one router from each MPLS router (two routers total).

I'm trying to steer this subnet - 10.80.0.0/16 through a particular data center, and BGP is automatically taking the unpreferred path (I know, it's probably taking the better path, but management wants certain offices to go through certain data centers)

I know a pre-pend would help if I had two different subnets, so I don't think that's the way.

I'm thinking I need to tell my Data Center BGP Routers in the preferred data center, that the path to it's router has a higher weight than the other routers. How can I go about doing that?

If that's not the right method to use, I'm truly stumped.
1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @MJRodman21 ,

AS path prepending of the Branch router towards the SP provider that should not be used should work.

All you need is a route-map that invokes a prefix-list matching the prefix to be made prepended.

on DC side you coould increase the local preference on the "right" DC if there is i BGP between the two DCs

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card