cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two VLANs - one VRF - with access to ISP

frederick.mercado
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi! So after trying to implement VLANs and ACLs on our 9300 catalysts it seems they may be limited or have issues with NAT. 

We have our MOBILE SSID  and it only needs to access DHCP. Otherwise it needs to get outside to the internet via VLANxxx on 207.xx.xxx.xx Sub .248.... I was advised I could create a VRF for this case, but I have not done one yet and need help on an ideal config.

Essentially I need to:

A) Create a VRF for VLANs 1xx (internal) and VLAN1xx (ISP) so they can inter-communicate.

B) Allow access to DHCP through a route leak.

34 Replies 34

frederick.mercado
Spotlight
Spotlight

This may be a crude rough, but maybe a start?

Hello @frederick.mercado 

I would suggest VRF-lite is a more elegant way to go to isolate that vlan providing you do not envisage the need to route leak to other global rib networks as it could become administratively complicated, On the flip side of that is  RACL which can also become an administrative burden but much easier to understand 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Seeing how the 9300 allows VRF aware NAT across the global table...do I need a VLANxxx as shown above anymore or do I just apply the IP configuration on the interface? 

Would you be able to assist in verifying the above as a proper config to use?

Hello

What was the issue using access-lists, VRF lite is another possibility if supported
Can you post a topology diagram of your current network please?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

You can see my other post here for our attempts: Re: Internet for VLAN - Page 3 - Cisco Community

We were attempting to NAT two VLANs. One with internal client traffic  while still maintaining DHCP and heading out to for our ISP. Clients could ping each other, internal servers, and even the GW, but could not get out the GW (209.xx.xx.xx) even without ACL. We figured it was a routing issue, so we implemented route-map, considering we already had a default route listed on the Cores...but even with route-map, it seemed to not hit the GW either so I gave up. I saw where the 9000 series may only support interfaces instead of VLAN: Configure and Verify NAT on Catalyst 9000 Switches - Cisco

VRFs don't remove the need for NAT. 

The NAT translations were clearly being created in your other post so not sure what issue was as it got side tracked with HSRP etc. 

Can you connect a laptop in vlan 126 and do a traceroute to an internet IP and see how far it gets ? 

Jon

I believe he thought it was a HSRP issue. But we tested this, and it does not seem so. It appears to be a routing issue or maybe a limitation to interface NAT vs VLAN? I connected a laptop and performed a tracert. Interesting.

It seems to hit the IP addressfor VLAN for MOBILE clients. But then tries to exit to our MPLS, of course where internet traffic is going to proxy and authenticated. Which is what should not be happening. Its as if it doesn't have a route to VLANxxx out to the ISP? Even with the policy route-map...Perhaps this is because of the default route already established? Do I have to use VRF then?

Ping to ISP GW still successful but fais to 8.8.8.8

Your PBR does not look to be working. 

It seems to be following the routing table. 

Can you post the PBR specific configuration ie. the route map, the acl used and the vlan 126 interface configuration ? 

Jon

Removed

PBR looks fine. 

Are you running the Network Essentials license on your switch ? 

Jon

Removed.

You could run a "debug ip policy" to see what PBR is actually doing but I can't see an issue with your configuration other than the fact it is not working obviously. 

Jon

As a follow up to this I did look at NAT for VRFs and the 9300s do support VRF aware NAT where the vlan on the inside in NAT terms (vlan 126) is in a VRF but the vlan on the outside (vlan 127) is in the global routing table. 

I have done VRFs for a long time but Paul may well be able to point you in the right direction. 

Jon

I am seeing this error with the debug:

May 4 18:01:34.080: IP: s=0.0.0.0 (Vlan126), d=255.255.255.255 (nil), len 328, policy rejected -- normal forwarding

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card