cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Practice to define SLA for AAR?

m1xed0s
Spotlight
Spotlight

Say I have two Business Internet transports ISP1(200Mbps) and ISP2(1Gbps) in HQ office, what would be the best practice for defining the SLA (delay, loss and jitter) values for the transport to use AAR?

As far as I can remember, the work flow is to define the SLA first and then configure the AAR policy which will be applied to the SD-WAN fabric. I want SD-WAN traffic from HQ to always use ISP2 and failover to ISP1 only. I am aware that I could use TLOC preference to steer traffic to one transport vs the other but in my specific case, I would prefer to look into AAR...

So how should I define the SLA accurately? Use the flow simulation tool?

Thanks,

/S

3 Replies 3

AAR is Definitely a must-have in an SD-WAN production environment. SLA is a personal preference, you can be strict or not. The following is how to implement and assuming you already have a Centralized Policy in place. If you don't, then just create a CP from scratch and do the following while in the Traffic Policy menu. 

Create/Modify SLA Class list:

There are already pre-defined SLA Class lists that you can use/edit (I use these) or you can create them yourself. They are located at "Configuration/Policies/Custom Options/Centralized Policy/Lists/SLA Class" We'll call your list "SLA-HQ_Subnets". 

Create HQ Network Data Prefix list:

In the same "List" directory listed above, Go to "Data Prefix" to create all your networks at you HQ site in a single list. We'll call it "DPL-HQ_Subnets". 

Create AAR Policy:

AAR is in the following directory, "Configuration/Policies/Custom Options/Centralized Policy/Traffic Policy"

For your request, select "Add Policy" if you don't have one already.Create a Sequence Type, then select Sequence Rule.

Match Condition

Select "Source Data Prefix List" option box and select the DPL we created, "DPL-HQ_Subnets". 

Action

Select "SLA Class List" option box and choose our "SLA-HQ_Subnets". Now a few more options will pop up, "Preferred Color" and "Strict".

- In "Preferred Color" Select your ISP2's color. You can select multiple ISPs here if you want to use all ISPs at once, but that's not what you're requesting.

- Uncheck "Strict". 

Select "Backup Preferred SLA Color" option box and choose you ISP1's color. 

Save and Activate the new policy you created.  

Let me know if you need anything else. 

Thanks for the details but I am just looking for best practices or work flow regarding creating my own SLA classes. I guest I would have to depends on the app route stat or visualization tool available.

AAR is Definitely a must-have in an SD-WAN production environment. SLA is a personal preference, you can be strict or not. The following is how to implement and assuming you already have a Centralized Policy in place. If you don't, then just create a CP from scratch and do the following while in the Traffic Policy menu. 

Create/Modify SLA Class list:

There are already pre-defined SLA Class lists that you can use/edit (I use these) or you can create them yourself. They are located at "Configuration/Policies/Custom Options/Centralized Policy/Lists/SLA Class" We'll call your list "SLA-HQ_Subnets". 

Create HQ Network Data Prefix list:

In the same "List" directory listed above, Go to "Data Prefix" to create all your networks at you HQ site in a single list. We'll call it "DPL-HQ_Subnets". 

Create AAR Policy:

AAR is in the following directory, "Configuration/Policies/Custom Options/Centralized Policy/Traffic Policy"

For your request, select "Add Policy" if you don't have one already.Create a Sequence Type, then select Sequence Rule.

Match Condition

Select "Source Data Prefix List" option box and select the DPL we created, "DPL-HQ_Subnets". 

Action

Select "SLA Class List" option box and choose our "SLA-HQ_Subnets". Now a few more options will pop up, "Preferred Color" and "Strict".

- In "Preferred Color" Select your ISP2's color. You can select multiple ISPs here if you want to use all ISPs at once, but that's not what you're requesting.

- Uncheck "Strict". 

Select "Backup Preferred SLA Color" option box and choose you ISP1's color. 

Save and Activate the new policy you created.  

Let me know if you need anything else.