Views
Helpful
Replies

Control Plane physical port cat9k border node in sda

J19
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

For Cat 9K switches used as Border and control nodes in an SDA setup. do we need to have a specific physical interface on the switch for control plane or we can provision all physical ports(interfaces) as a control plane port.

Many Thanks,

5 Replies 5

anthony.wild
Level 1
Level 1

I think a picture or topology with your proposed network laydown might help in best understanding your question, but, I think as "control plane" as more of a "role". To that end, any switch according to the SDA compatibility matrix as being control plane compatible should take that role independent of your port usage for border handoffs.

yes, but the data plane interface is not the same as the control plane interfaces right?

in other words, between the Fabric Edge nodes and the Fabric border and control plane do we need two interfaces, one interface for control plane and the other for Data Plane. or is it on the same interface?

I think I understand your question now better. Your "Fabric Physical Links", i.e. /31 point-to-point links between CP/B and Edge, and even Edge to Edge links, if applicable, are the same interface which carry both underlay and overlay traffic. You can also have multiple/redundant routed interfaces that connect switches together which LAN Automation will orchestrate for you.

georgehewittuk1
Level 1
Level 1

Your control plane role is simply referring to the configuration that is pushed for LISP for that device to be the map server function. This all operates as part of the fabric there isn’t a specific physical port you need. It would use the same routed links as the data plane.