Views
Helpful
Replies

Fabric SSID address pool

KevinR99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am trying to create a fabric enabled SSID in my SDA fabric.  I've created the SSID and made it fabric enabled.  However I cannot see how to associate an address pool with the SSID.  As I understand the client will join an address pool at the Edge switch and be treated like any wired client.  When I go to Fabric sites in DNAC and select SSIDs I can see my SSID but with no Address pool or SGT assigned.  However, when I choose the drop down list under Address pool (and Security group) I don't get offered any address pools.  I expected to be offered the same address pools that are available in the Port Assignment area for wired clients.

Can anyone shed any light on where I may be going wrong here?

Thanks, Kev.

5 Replies 5

Hi

I believe this video can help you. The answer you are looking for is the wireless profile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOIamDVGReQ

Unfortunately this video doesn't explain how to attach a pool to the SSID.

jalejand
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you configured the fabric IP Pool under the virtual network as wireless pool? 

Thanks, I found that section, ticked the wireless box and the pool is now available under my fabric site wireless settings.

One more question.  I'm sure when I was playing around with this before I managed to create 2 SSIDs with the same name.  I can do that manually on the WLC by creating 2 SSIDs with the same name but different profile names.  When I try to do this in DNAC, at the point where I define the new SSID under Design - Network settings - Wireless it insists on a unique SSID name.  The reason I want the same name is I initially have the WLC managing fabric and non-fabric APs while I migrate my access switches to fabric edge ones.  So the SSID will initially be a standard OTT one.  As I add Edge switches I then want to change the SSID to fabric in that area with the same name.  I know I could migrate all my access switches to fabric edge ones then change the SSID across the campus from OTT to fabric but I want to do a gradual change as I deploy Edge switches.

Kev.

You can achieve that by creating a single SSID and modifying its type by using network profiles.

The main thing is to have fabric APs in a site scope (ex: fabric site) and the rest of APs in a different site (any other site).
The WLC will manage both sites (fabric and site X), meaning that it will be the primary controller for these.

1. Your fabric might have a wireless profile already assigned, in that wireless profile, the SSID is marked as fabric SSID.
2. Create a second wireless profile and assign it to site X, there you will configure the SSID as not-fabric/Centralized
3. Provision the WLC and configure it to manage both fabric site and site X.
4. Provision the APs in site X

This way the WLC will maintain a single SSID, create two wireless policies (one for central and one for fabric) and create a policy-tag for the fabric side (matching ssid to fabric policy) and another for non fabric side (matching ssid to central). Binding APs to the corresponding tag.