cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fabric VNS Scale

craneman1
Level 1
Level 1

If I have a fabric and I add 9200 series switches that support only 4 virtual networks.. does that mean the entire fabric is limited to 4 virtual networks even if I have 9300/9500 deployed in the fabric.....  I would not think so but looking for data on this topic.. seems as though you could have other switches supporting more than 4 vns but the 9200's would be limited....Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@craneman1 , it depends on the order in which the 9200s are added.

If you have an existing SD-Access site with more than 4VNs, then the 9200 should not be allowed to join that site.

If you have an existing site with fewer than 4 VNs and that site includes 9200s,  then you would not be able to enable more than 4 VNs in that site.

All that said, we now have a feature called Fabric Zones which allows you to control which VNs are deployed on Edge Nodes in the fabric site. For example, if one edge node is a 9200 and one is a 9300, then you could deploy just 2 VNs to the 9200 while 5 VNs are deployed to the 9300. However, if you want all 5 VNs on the 9200 then this would not be possible.

You can find information on Fabric Zones in the Cisco DNA Center User Guides starting with 2.2.3.x , and there is a Cisco Live presentation on Fabric Zones in the On-Demand Library at ciscolive.com at https://www.ciscolive.com/on-demand/on-demand-library.html?search=3833&search=3833#/session/1655479473366001lfCA .

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Enterprise Networking and Cloud Group

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@craneman1 , it depends on the order in which the 9200s are added.

If you have an existing SD-Access site with more than 4VNs, then the 9200 should not be allowed to join that site.

If you have an existing site with fewer than 4 VNs and that site includes 9200s,  then you would not be able to enable more than 4 VNs in that site.

All that said, we now have a feature called Fabric Zones which allows you to control which VNs are deployed on Edge Nodes in the fabric site. For example, if one edge node is a 9200 and one is a 9300, then you could deploy just 2 VNs to the 9200 while 5 VNs are deployed to the 9300. However, if you want all 5 VNs on the 9200 then this would not be possible.

You can find information on Fabric Zones in the Cisco DNA Center User Guides starting with 2.2.3.x , and there is a Cisco Live presentation on Fabric Zones in the On-Demand Library at ciscolive.com at https://www.ciscolive.com/on-demand/on-demand-library.html?search=3833&search=3833#/session/1655479473366001lfCA .

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

so you mean "However, if you want all 7 VNs on the 9300 then this would not be possible."

@craneman1 , I have corrected the original text.

The 2 VNs on the 9200 could also exist on the 9300s even though they are in different Fabric Zones. So you could have :

Zone 1 - VN A, VN B on 9200s

Zoe 2 - VN A, VN B , VN C, VN D, VN E on 9300s

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: