Views
Helpful
Replies

SDA WLC Location

dm2020
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm building a POC and I'm trying to work out the correct location for my WLCs that will provide fabric wireless.

I have a office in London that will be my initial fabric site. This will consist of a couple of combined border/CP switches and a couple of edge switches.

Global -> UK - London -> HQ.

My infrastructure services (DNAC, ISE, AD etc) will be located in our data centre behind a fusion router that will provide the required inter-VRF route leaking etc for access to the shared services and external resources such as the internet.

I would like to place my WLCs in the data centre as well so that these can also service wireless for other fabric enabled sites (planned for the future). Will that work ok? If so, what site do I assign my WLCs to in DNAC? Should I create a new site for my DC for these?

I have also seen some references that state that a separate WLC is required per fabric site, however, it is not really clear why? Can some please help explain?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ciscogeek2017,

As  long as the WLC have IP reachability to the APs, DNA Center and the Control Plane nodes, then there is no problem with them being in the DC. 

If you have not already, see the SD-Access Wireless Design and Deployment Guide athttps://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-5/b_SD_Access_Wireless_Deployment_Guide.html . There are also 2 good Cisco Live sessions that you can reference in the On-Demand library at ciscolive.com : BRKEWN-2020 and BRKEWN-2021.

Cheers,
Scott

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

ciscogeek2017,

As  long as the WLC have IP reachability to the APs, DNA Center and the Control Plane nodes, then there is no problem with them being in the DC. 

If you have not already, see the SD-Access Wireless Design and Deployment Guide athttps://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-5/b_SD_Access_Wireless_Deployment_Guide.html . There are also 2 good Cisco Live sessions that you can reference in the On-Demand library at ciscolive.com : BRKEWN-2020 and BRKEWN-2021.

Cheers,
Scott