Views
Helpful
Replies

What happens when SMART license expires

khauschildt
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

What happens when a SMART license has expired or failed to verify for 1 year?

I found this community post and the answer was just "Cisco is still having issues with their licensing and are not enforcing it"

I found this Cisco blog post saying "At this point, the product returns to evaluation mode under the terms of the particular product’s evaluation policy." but that's very vague.

I read the "Configuring Smart Licensing" Chapter for Gibraltar and it doesn't mention what happens if a device fails to check in.

Since we have SMARTnet, I called TAC and they said they wouldn't open a case for this and to post on the community forum. 

So, few questions for a device that the SMART license has been expired for 1 year on:

1. Is there any loss of functionality? Specifically for Cisco Cat9k switches in regards to permanent and/or term licenses.

2. If I have a device where the license has been expired for more than a year and want to get the device licensed again, do I have to pay to license the device for all of the years the device was running without a license?

3. Where is the official Cisco published documentation on the above?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ChuckMcF
Level 1
Level 1

First of all thank you for referencing a post where I provided the solution. That's a first for me and pretty cool.

More importantly, I'll answer your questions using the numbered format you provided:

1 - There will be no loss in functionality simply due to the fact that Cisco isn't enforcing the licensing at them moment. That could change tomorrow so you should stay on top of it, however they aren't right now.

2 - You will need to contact your sales rep about this. I'd venture to guess that they'd want reimbursement for the time if the device has been actively connected to the network during that time frame. They may be able to work with you if the device has been on a shelf for some of that period. My guess is that it would be up to your rep and how they choose to handle it.

3- This document has pretty much everything that you need for Smart licensing but may not cover your specific questions. The best bet is to just talk to your Cisco rep directly for the answers. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/csa/configuration/15-mt/csa-15-mt-book/csa-smart-license.html

In addition you may wish to consider getting a Cisco Enterprise License Agreement (ELA) which would cover all of your devices including ISE and Stealth Watch licenses. Typically licenses bundled under an ELA are cheaper than getting each individually which could save you money and ensure the devices don't experience future lapses in licensing. You may even be able to work with the sales staff to overlook the past year with no licensing by entering into a new ELA agreement.

Good luck and hope this is helpful,

Chuck

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

d-wade
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Here are some answers to your questions:

1. Is there any loss of functionality? Specifically for Cisco Cat9k switches in regards to permanent and/or term licenses.

I don't believe so. You should remember that Network Essentials/Advantage is built into the switch and provides most of the L2/L3 functionality. The DNA licensing is more focused on the management and DNA perks for a device/fabric.

2. If I have a device where the license has been expired for more than a year and want to get the device licensed again, do I have to pay to license the device for all of the years the device was running without a license?

I see where you may question this, but no. You should only need to pay for the new term.

3. Where is the official Cisco published documentation on the above?

Here's a good link that describes all the differences in each of the licensing subscriptions: https://www.cisco.com/c/m/en_us/products/software/dna-subscription-switching/en-sw-sub-matrix-switching.html?OID=otren019471

ChuckMcF
Level 1
Level 1

First of all thank you for referencing a post where I provided the solution. That's a first for me and pretty cool.

More importantly, I'll answer your questions using the numbered format you provided:

1 - There will be no loss in functionality simply due to the fact that Cisco isn't enforcing the licensing at them moment. That could change tomorrow so you should stay on top of it, however they aren't right now.

2 - You will need to contact your sales rep about this. I'd venture to guess that they'd want reimbursement for the time if the device has been actively connected to the network during that time frame. They may be able to work with you if the device has been on a shelf for some of that period. My guess is that it would be up to your rep and how they choose to handle it.

3- This document has pretty much everything that you need for Smart licensing but may not cover your specific questions. The best bet is to just talk to your Cisco rep directly for the answers. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/csa/configuration/15-mt/csa-15-mt-book/csa-smart-license.html

In addition you may wish to consider getting a Cisco Enterprise License Agreement (ELA) which would cover all of your devices including ISE and Stealth Watch licenses. Typically licenses bundled under an ELA are cheaper than getting each individually which could save you money and ensure the devices don't experience future lapses in licensing. You may even be able to work with the sales staff to overlook the past year with no licensing by entering into a new ELA agreement.

Good luck and hope this is helpful,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Gday!!

Will you be able to update the current status with respect to the below query: I went through "Cisco IOS XE Gibraltar 16.12.x", but no luck.

Thanks & Regards,

Maddox

Gscblritgin,

As of today they still aren't enforcing licensing.

HTH,

Chuck McFadden