Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Flex Connect OTT

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at the Wireless options available for what will be a new FAIB site. DNAC running 2.3.3.7. The main consideration for us is that the BW is limited at sites so don't want to backhaul data traffic to a Central WLC

With the above consideration I think that rules out generic OTT Wireless as I believe data traffic is backhauled.

I'd want the traffic to be switched locally for wireless.

It seems FlexConnect OTT is a thing now and might be the way forward but struggling to find out exactly how this is configured and hangs together so have a few questions -

For Flex OTT - How are the APs to be connected within my fabric? Just treated as normal end hosts essentially and ports set as trunk on my edge nodes? AP subnet to exist in INFRA_VN?
Will Wireless just continue to be administered from my Central WLCs as if the APs were at a Non Fabric site?

Another option would be to run the EWC on my BCE node and do Fabric Wireless. Am I right in thinking that if I went for Fabric Wireless I'd need a separate WLC at every Fabric Site?

Thanks as always.

2 Replies 2

in reverse order:
"Another option would be to run the EWC on my BCE node and do Fabric Wireless. Am I right in thinking that if I went for Fabric Wireless I'd need a separate WLC at every Fabric Site?"
as far as i remember "supported" delay between fabric APs & WLC is 20ms. for some cases i guess it's possible to have WLC a little bit "far away" from site :0)
for flexconnect-OTT case i've no how-2 document under my hands. but  your assumptions make sense. just give it a try.  

jedolphi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, if you deployed Fabric Enabled Wireless you'd need an Embedded (or physical) WLC per fabric site. If you go with FlexConnect wireless then you lose the e2e automation and the common/integrated control plane, you'll need to couple them together manually, and you'll need to use "Intra-Subnet Routing" in order to accomplish FlexConnect fast roaming on an SD-Access wired network. In other words, FlexConnect is possible, but it's more complicated and comes with caveats. I'd suggest this requires a longer strategic discussion with your SE or CX representative before deciding to proceed with FlexConnect. Or, just go with Fabric-Enabled Wireless since inherently it's tightly coupled with the wired fabric. Regards, Jerome