cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

32Gb HBA -> MDS 9148S

acebailey
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to connect a new Poweredge R650 server to my MDS 9148S and not getting HBA logins.  I've built a ton of Poweredges on the same fabric and never had an issue, but it dawned on me that they have all been R640s or older with 16Gb/s FC cards.  Is the switch having a problem recognizing the faster host SFPs?

Error: fc1/39 is down (Link failure or not-connected)

Port is enabled, its own SFP is recognized, and it's in the correct VSAN.

1 Reply 1

jaton
Level 1
Level 1

Imagine a scenario where the Dell PowerEdge R650 server is operating at a rate of 32Gbit, while the Cisco MDS 9148S switch is functioning at a speed of 16Gbit. In such a case, the connection would default to the slower speed of 16Gbit. This is because the SFP (Small Form-factor Pluggable) modules play a crucial role. A 32Gbit SFP has the flexibility to operate at 32Gbit, 16Gbit, and 8Gbit speeds. Similarly, a 16Gbit SFP can work at 16Gbit, 8Gbit, and 4Gbit speeds. This means that the connection's speed would be determined by the lowest common speed between the server, switch, and the type of SFP module used in the connection.

The error message "fc1/39 is down (Link failure or not-connected)" indicates that the Fibre Channel port with identifier "fc1/39" is experiencing a connection issue.

1. Check the physical connections, including cables and SFP modules.
  2. Verify the port configuration on both ends of the connection.
  3. Test the port with a different SFP module if possible.
  4. Check for any recent changes or updates that might have affected the port's functionality.
  5. Consult the device's documentation or technical support resources for specific troubleshooting steps.
  6. look at the log files.

show interface fc1/39 transceiver

The command "show interface fc1/39 transceiver" is a valuable tool for obtaining essential information about the transceiver (SFP module) linked to the Fibre Channel interface labeled as "fc1/39." This command offers crucial insights into the transceiver's condition and settings, aiding in the identification of connectivity and performance concerns.