Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding Cisco MDS 9124 to the existing fabric

lkovar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

is there any step-by step guide for adding Cisco MDS 9124 to existing fabric ?

The goal is to place the second switch to distant location and move just one existing tape library there.

I did set up and ISL already, but am not sure, what to do next to (merge zones on both etc),

I have mostly Brocade SAN background and no orientation in Cisco literature

Many thanks.

2 Replies 2

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

how far away is the other location ?  Do you have a dedicated tape VSAN , how are the system currently connect to this tape library ? (systems have 3 HBAs, 2 for disk and one for tape ? )

@dynamoxxx

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The ISL link is already set, using appropriate GBIC and cables.

It all should be one VSAN, I use strict point-to point zones. library has two drives and it is connected via two (isolated) switches locally, now I want to move behind the 3rd remote switch using just one local switch, as we have only one long-distance wire. I want to prepare it on a local site first (with a shorter cable :-) ) and the move the library. So my first step will be to move second drive to the first switch locally.

ISL is working IMHO, I plan set both switches with the same VLAN ID and try to propagate zones to the new switch with zoneset distribute. Is that correct ?

As I want avoid any existing traffic disturbance I need a step-by step guide to be sure. I don't like blind trials.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: