cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can Cisco Nexus 5672 UP switch support iSCSI storage connectivity

guru_prasad84
Level 1
Level 1

Currently we have storage servers supporting iSCSI connected to Nexus 5020 switch Eth 1/x interface(10G interface). It is currently working in 10G / Full duplex mode

Want to replace 5020 switch with 5672 UP switch. So have a question if 5672 UP has any restriction to support iSCSI connectivity?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As per the datasheet it can only support FCoE

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/nexus-5000-series-switches/datasheet-c78-730760.html?cachemode=refresh 

For iSCSI devices to talk to FC/FCoE devices, you need a gateway to bridge between the two protocols. Nexus 5K does not support that.

Manish

- Do rate helpful ports -

Thanks Manish for replying 

As per the  Multihop FCoE , it says  5672 can support all storage traffic. So its bit confusing as I am unsure about storage..

Multihop FCoE

.... Cisco provides unified fabric support to both the access and core network layers, supporting all storage traffic (FCoE, Small Computer System Interface over IP [iSCSI], and network-attached storage [NAS]) over a simplified infrastructure based on lossless 10 and 40 Gigabit Ethernet.

Hi Guru,

I looked into some TAC SR's to confirm the same and it appears that iSCSI would be supported, however i had seen one of the internal  email exchanges earlier where this was mentioned as not supported. Since you have not yet purchased these 5672 UP's i would suggest confirming with TAC or your local Cisco SE before ordering the same to be on a safe side.

HTH

Manish

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

iSCSI means TCP/IP, therefore any Nexus Ethernet switch will support it ! Don't see why one should bring FCoE as a solution, assuming that your storage device supports iSCSI. Another question is when your storage would only support FCoE. But then one would use a FCoE Client, not a iSCSI one.