cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco MDS design question - ISL connection with SAN-OS and NOS?

oreillygavin
Level 1
Level 1

I am working on a large data centre migration project, as part of the project I am designing a new SAN infrastructure to allow the migration into a new data centre. I have a question on SAN switch design to allow the newly installed Cisco SAN Directors be ISL connected into the existing set-up.

The existing SAN switch infrastructure consists of Cisco 9509's with Supervisor-1 modules, Cisco 9513's with Supervisor-2 modules, all switches are running SAN-OS 3.3.5a running the fabric speed of 4-Gbps, all switches are connected to each other over ISL. The reason for SAN-OS 3.3.5a is it's the highest level supported on the Cisco 9509 with Supervisor-1 modules and the SAN administrator keeps to the best practice of running all switches in the fabric at the same software levels.
I am planning to install new Cisco 9509's with Supervisor-2 modules, new Cisco 9513's with Supervisor-2. both of these switches will have  a number of 24-Port and 48-Port 8-Gbps port modules. The minimum NOS software level to support the 8-Gbps modules is NOS-4.1.x.

My question is can ISL connections from the existing switch set-up running at SAN-OS 3.3.5a to the new Cisco 9509's and 9513's running NOS-4.1.x be implemented and supported? I am having difficulty tracking down documentation to support this type of configuration. I presume as part of the switch migration this type of set-up is allowed and supported but I need  support confirmation or a reference site. Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

1 Reply 1

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

you can find it in the release notes, here is a note from 4.1.3a:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/4_1/release/notes/17675_05.html#wp642914

@dynamoxxx

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card