Views
Helpful
Replies

Converting Eth port to FC port in a cisco 6001 switch

niranjandas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Back to forum after a long time. I have one issue to discuss regarding cisco 6001 switch. We purchased a new 6001 switch. Want to convert some of the Ethernet ports out of total 48 to FC to join the switch into a existing fabric.

cisco Nexus 6001 Chassis ("Norcal 64 Supervisor")  - This is what H/W version look like from show version command.

In the past, we have quite a few Cisco 5548UP switch and the way convert the Ethernet port into FC port is, by going to correct slot/module and then

(config)# slot 1

(config-slot)# port 41-48 type fc

Then "reload" willl complete the conversion. But in the new 6001 switch, it throws the following error when above command is typed. We have full license for the switch including  FC_FEATURES_PKG

"ERROR: Module type doesn't support this CLI"

We are running firmware : 6.0(2)N2(2)

Any help in this regard will be helpful.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Niranjan

The current release does not support native FC on Nexus 6000 base ports. The support for native FC will come in a future release and it will be supported via seperate Fiber Channel module which will be an Expansion Module (GEM).

Currrently if you have to run native FC please continue to use Nexus 5000 switch.

Thanks, Vinayak

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

niranjandas
Level 1
Level 1

Has any body has some idea ? Eagerly waiting for a reply from cisco experts. Any documentation will also be helpful.

Niranjan

The current release does not support native FC on Nexus 6000 base ports. The support for native FC will come in a future release and it will be supported via seperate Fiber Channel module which will be an Expansion Module (GEM).

Currrently if you have to run native FC please continue to use Nexus 5000 switch.

Thanks, Vinayak

Thanks Vinayak for the response. Is this switch can be used or is it next generation FEX ? I also read some where in cisco the switch supports NPV. Without FC support, NPV is not possible. So i got confused there.

Vinayak,

We bought this switch recently and it is an expensive one too.

I would just need couple of more info. At the worst case we would have to return the switch.

Does the 6001 support FCoE connections?

Does the 6001 support FCoE ISL connections?

Is there anyway we can connect it to a nexus 55xx siwtch like a FIP snooping bridge ? You reply is very much appreciated.

This is not a FEX switch either since it is intelligent and has its own firmware and commands.

You wont need to return the switch. The support for native FC is tentatively scheduled to come out by mid 2014 barring any changes.

We do support FCoE on Nexus 6001 and multihop FCoE as well.

Please check the below Nexus 6001 datasheet

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps12806/ps12869/data_sheet_c78-726128.html

Thanks, Vinayak

I have this exact same error;

show ver
Cisco Nexus Operating System (NX-OS) Software
TAC support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
Documents: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9372/tsd_products_support_series_home.html
Copyright (c) 2002-2014, Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.
The copyrights to certain works contained herein are owned by
other third parties and are used and distributed under license.
Some parts of this software are covered under the GNU Public
License. A copy of the license is available at
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html.

Software
  BIOS:      version 1.5.0
  loader:    version N/A
  kickstart: version 7.0(5)N1(1)
  system:    version 7.0(5)N1(1)
  Power Sequencer Firmware:
             Module 1: version v4.0
             Module 2: version v4.0
  Fabric Power Sequencer Firmware: Module 1: version v4.0
  Microcontroller Firmware:        version v1.2.0.5
  QSFP Microcontroller Firmware:
             Module 2: v1.3.0.0
  SFP Microcontroller Firmware:
             Module 1: v1.1.0.0
  BIOS compile time:       12/29/2012
  kickstart image file is: bootflash:///n6000-uk9-kickstart.7.0.5.N1.1.bin
  kickstart compile time:  10/29/2014 22:00:00 [10/30/2014 11:46:56]
  system image file is:    bootflash:///n6000-uk9.7.0.5.N1.1.bin
  system compile time:     10/29/2014 22:00:00 [10/30/2014 11:47:58]

Hardware
  cisco Nexus 6001 Chassis ("Nexus 64 Supervisor")
  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU  @ 2.00 with 8238120 kB of memory.
  Processor Board ID FOC181506P3

Device name: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  bootflash:    7823360 kB

Kernel uptime is 3 day(s), 17 hour(s), 25 minute(s), 49 second(s)

Last reset at 642096 usecs after  Fri Feb 27 15:24:40 2015

Reason: Disruptive upgrade
  System version: 6.0(2)N2(3)
  Service:

plugin
  Core Plugin, Ethernet Plugin, Fc Plugin

xxxxxx# conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
xxxxxx(config)# slot 1

xxxxxx# port 47-48 type fc
ERROR: Module type doesn't support this CLI

niranjandas
Level 1
Level 1

Also, i came to know that as per 6.02 release note:

"Support for DELL FEX

Added support for the Cisco Nexus B22 Dell Fabric Extender for Cisco Nexus 6000 Series switches starting with the 6.0(2)N1(2) release."

This is the exact reason we bought it. We have a enviornment where we are running Dell B22 FEX.  Idea is to connect the B22 FEX into Nexus 6001. We are confuse at this point. After connecting the Dell B22 FEX to Nexus 6001, how to access the storage network or storage fabric ??

Thanks,

Currently where does the storage reside? On which switch? Also is the storage FC, or FCoE or IP based storage?

Thanks, Vinayak

My current storage is on a VSAN to which Nexus 5548/5020 is part of. So if by any means, i can reach the same VSAN on Nexus 5548/5020 from Nexus 6001, my job will be done. I just need to have access to that VSAN where the storage systems are available.

Adding another point: Storage are all FC based. All the initiators are FCoE.

Thanks.

yeah so right now you should be able to run FCoE (multihop) connections between nexus 6001 and nexus 5xxx switch ie  Once you build the VFC Port channel between 6k and 5k, then you can perform zoning on 5k with FCoE Initiators on B22 FEX and thereby get access to storage. B22 FEX already supports FCoE with Nexus 6k so you should be good there.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Vinayak

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: