cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FC port recommended default state

Artem Troitsky
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I know that the recommended and default state for each FC port is "shutdown". Where does this default behaviour come from? Are there any documented best practice I can refer to?..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kris Vandecruys
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Artem,

I can confirm the recommended state for an FC port is shutdown.

I'm not immediately aware of a standard BP document that mentions this, but I can think of a few good reasons:

* Power consumption. FC ports emit a laser when in no shut, and those consume a lot of energy

* Lasers can be dangerous to eyes, and policies surrounding rubber covers for the unused ports are virtually non-existant

* Data Security (ie rogue devices connecting to your SAN) 

I hope this answers your question!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Kris Vandecruys
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Artem,

I can confirm the recommended state for an FC port is shutdown.

I'm not immediately aware of a standard BP document that mentions this, but I can think of a few good reasons:

* Power consumption. FC ports emit a laser when in no shut, and those consume a lot of energy

* Lasers can be dangerous to eyes, and policies surrounding rubber covers for the unused ports are virtually non-existant

* Data Security (ie rogue devices connecting to your SAN) 

I hope this answers your question!

Thank you very much for answering Kris! I do hope your approval and reasons would be enough for our change managers to take a decision whether to plan switch reconfigurations in the future based on the topic mentioned.

Cheers,

Artem