Views
Helpful
Replies

NTP and MDS9513

jeffrey.jenkins
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

After setting up NTP on a MDS9513, is it still necessary to set the daylight savings time configuration? If I remember correctly an NTP time server only send out the UTC time. This would require the local system to still set the timezone. But does it also require the daylight savings settings as well?

Thanks

Jeff

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct Jeff,

Most NTP servers only distribute the time based on UTC and in the MDS you will need to configure the offset from UTC for for your TimeZone so that the local clock is accurate.  Same with the daylight savings time.  Some locations use DST while others do not, within the same TimeZone, so it needs to be locally configured.

-Mike

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct Jeff,

Most NTP servers only distribute the time based on UTC and in the MDS you will need to configure the offset from UTC for for your TimeZone so that the local clock is accurate.  Same with the daylight savings time.  Some locations use DST while others do not, within the same TimeZone, so it needs to be locally configured.

-Mike

Thanks Mike. Just for reference for anyone who looks at this thread I am including the configuration I put in place for my switch:

config t

clock timezone EST -5 0
clock summer-time EDT 2 Sunday March 02:00 1 Sunday November 02:00 60
ntp server X.X.X.X

exit

The above commands set my timezone to Eastern Standard Time with a five hour offset from UTC. The summer-time command sets up my daylight savings time starting on the second Sunday of March and ending on the first Sunday in November. With these in place the NTP server sends out the current UTC time. The switch now properly updates the time per timezone and daylight savings time if applicable.

The only thing I have to do now is determine if I want to add a second time source for redundancy and/or setup a peer relationship between switches for reliability. I have to talk to my Network group about that first.

Thanks again,

Jeff