cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Red line thru new switch in Fabric Manager

ricknaquin
Level 1
Level 1

Recently installed 2 new 9222i San San Switches.  I can access the switches thru cli, and device manager(directly with device manager, and also starting device manager thru fabric manager).  One of the switches however, when viewed thru the fabric window,  has a red line diagonally thru the switch.  This prevents me from being able to select the switch to upggrade the OS.  I have viewd the inventory tab on the switch and each component returns an 'OK' status.   Any recommendations on what to look for?

6 Replies 6

kenk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are the same credentials (username/password) configured on all the switches in the Fabric?

Fabric Manager will use the same username/password combination to discover all switches in a

single fabric.

Kenk,

Thanks for the response.

The switch is in a standalone fabric, and as such,   the credentials to 'discover' the switch are complete and only for the one switch.  

Some searching has found that the cause could be a failed component on teh switch.   HOwever,  both show environment  and show inventory reports report all to be 'OK'

Additonally,   No information is displayed in the 'Physical Attributes'  window,   basically responding that you must select a switch. 

Once again,   any thoughts on the cuase would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the clarification on the topology.

Typically, at this point I (as a TAC Engineer) would ask that the Fabric Manager (FM) logs be collected and

submitted for analysis (via a Service Request).

Regards,

Ken

Hi Ken

I have a new switch with different password which is ISLed with old switch and the new switch comes up with red line across it. Its saying unable to login but I can't find anywhere how to set authentication for this new switch. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Hi,

Sure, we cover that in our online documentation pretty well.  Here's the 3.x version:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/rel_3_x/configuration/guides/cli_3_3/clicfgur.html#wp1279001

Regards,

Ken

Thanks KenK. Much appreciated. I will try this today. I will add a common user with network-admin role in all switches and use this account to login in FM.