cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SW_ILS 0x78 ...... What is it?

bfeeny
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone explain what uses SW_ILS command code 0x78?  I see this when analyzing PAA dumps of trunk links and I wasn't sure what the purpose of this is.

Thanks,

Brian

3 Replies 3

Gary Ross
Level 4
Level 4

Brian,

This was a tough question.     I found sw_ils with a 0x80 status but it took me awhile to find exactly what a 0x78 status was.  Here is what I found and where I found it.

A SW_ILS 0x78 status is a RNID (Request Node Identification Data) payload

The document that discusses this is found here:   ftp://ftp.t11.org/t11/member/fc/fs/99-422v0.pdf

Look on page 3 of this 9 page document from T11.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Gary,

Thanks, I see Cisco MDS switches exchanging 0x80 and I wonder if its the same in that document.  I believe that a certain range of SW_ILS's can be vendor specific and some vendors use them for different purposes.  For example, Brocade uses 0x71 for IE_SGROUP "Inter Exchange Group wise commands".  Do you think this document explains what the MDS is using 0x80 for?  Thanks.

Brian,

I don't think that document discusses the 0x80 status (Link Keep Alives) but this document does.

http://www.t11.org/ftp/t11/pub/fc/bb-5/09-056v5.pdf

Look on page 27 (PDF page 42) section 4.5 "FC-BB-5 SW_ILS codes".

Hope this helps.

Gary

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: