Views
Helpful
Replies

VSAN properties best practice

igor_bakman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I would like to know the best way to configure the next properties (bolded and underlined):

show zone status:

VSAN: 1 default-zone: deny distribute: active only Interop: default

mode: basic merge-control: allow

session: none

hard-zoning: enabled broadcast: unsupported

Best regards,

Igor.

3 Replies 3

dynamoxxx
Level 5
Level 5

best practise is to not use VSAN 1 period.

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

OK...

and if it was VSAN 30?

some of it will depend on what features you like to use, for example here is mine:

VSAN: 14 default-zone: deny distribute: full Interop: default

mode: basic merge-control: allow

session: none

hard-zoning: enabled broadcast: disabled

smart-zoning: enabled

i have enabled full zoneset distribution, because i have switches ISL together, i want to propagates full zoneset information to all switches in the fabric that house VSAN 14. This would allow me to perform zoning for VSAN 14 from any switch in the fabric.

Smart-zoning - this is something new that was introduced in 5.2.6 code. It allows you to put multiple targets/initiators in the same zone and prevent targets from logging in into targets, and initiators logging in into initiators. Initially i was using zoning where each zone consisted of single initiator/single target but now i can put multiple targets in the same zone.

Mode Basic - i don't have many people on my team so "stepping on each other" while zoning is not an issue but for teams with a lot of members this could be beneficial, while you are zoning nobody else can make any changes to the fabric.

@dynamoxxx

@dynamoxxx

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card