cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trivia Tuesday: What is the closest constellation to Earth?

yawming
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What is the closest constellation to Earth?

yawming_0-1687227528650.png

I acknowledge the ambiguity of this question. It might not be entirely fair to ask because the stars in a constellation are at varying distances from Earth and aren't necessarily near to each other in three-dimensional space. Therefore, it doesn't make sense to talk about the 'closest' constellation. However, if we were to ask which constellation contains the star that is closest to Earth, the answer would be Centaurus. This constellation houses Proxima Centauri, the closest star to Earth, located about 4.24 light-years away.

In modern times, we could also argue that one of the satellite internet constellations is the closest. Among these, Starlink, SpaceX's satellite internet project, is one of the nearest. Its satellites orbit at altitudes ranging from 328 kilometers (204 miles) to 614 kilometers (381 miles), which is significantly closer to Earth than any star.

As more companies launch internet satellites, it prompts an interesting question:

Will satellites one day create a starry, starry night?

Although we may eventually have a large number of satellites in the sky, resembling a star-filled canvas, satellites do not emit light themselves. They are visible from Earth's surface because they reflect sunlight. This means they're typically most visible shortly after sunset or just before sunrise when the satellite is in sunlight but the viewer on the ground is in relative darkness. Despite the potential for a visually impressive display, the proliferation of satellite constellations has caused concerns among the astronomy community. Their brightness and quantity can interfere with observations and add clutter to the night sky. Companies like SpaceX are now experimenting with ways to reduce the brightness of their satellites, such as applying dark coatings or shades to minimize their reflectivity.

Therefore, a starry night created by man-made constellations is unlikely.

Not only do we need to consider the environmental impacts on Earth of such a large number of satellite launches, but the production and launch of satellites also involve energy consumption and the release of greenhouse gases. This contributes to both global climate change and the issue of space debris. As a result, there's a growing call for sustainable space practices to limit these environmental impacts. We need to balance the advancement of technology with the preservation of our natural and scientific resources. This is a complex issue that will require ongoing attention and care.

1 Reply 1

Sean Dahlberg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This actually reminds me of late last year with the Starlink Satellite Train. I recall some where joking about an alien invasion when they first saw it, such as: https://twitter.com/kswansondesign/status/1561217973766873088

Grateful that my neighbor talked me down from us being attacked by aliens and that it was only the #starlink satellite. #rad #science

Found this on YouTube that gives a good display of it.