Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Trex with usb nics and vmware workstation

smolit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Community,

I am running Trex as a VM on my laptop and I am able to run a test bewteen the Trex VM and a futher VM as DUT.

But now I wolud like to run test with BM router or firewalls. So my idea is to map usb 1G ethernet adapters to the trex VM to use them as pyhsical interfaces with trex.

But dpdk_setup_ports.py doesn't show these adapters so I assume that I can't use them.

Under "ip a" I can see the adapter and they are working properly.

I assume that trex works only with pci connected ethernet interfaces like Intel's e1000 interfaces that are simulated by VMware inside virtual machines.

Is that right or is there any possibility to get usb ethernet adapter (in my case AX88179 Gigabit Ethernet) running with trex?

Thank you in advance for any suggestion and help.

Sebastian

2 Replies 2

smolit
Level 1
Level 1
Hi Community, wehre is the community power? ;-) Does anyone have a hint? Thanks Sebastian

After connecting your USB device, did you add a vm one virtual Ethernet adapters and have tried to Bridge it?
> I haven't tried before, just wrote as suggestions.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: