Views
Helpful
Replies

Understand leafref in YDK-Gen and YANG

binh.q.nguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to understand the leafref statement in YANG and how it is realized in YDK-gen.

I am using Cisco IOS XR 632 openconfig-interfaces.yang and try to create an interface configuration like this:

def config_openconfig_interfaces_ipv4(self,

enabled="false",

interface_name="GigabitEthernet0/0/0/0",

ipv4_address="10.0.0.1",

ipv4_prefix_length=24):

oc_interfaces = importlib.import_module("ydk.models.openconfig.openconfig_interfaces")

interfaces = oc_interfaces.Interfaces()

interface = interfaces.Interface()

interface.config.enabled = enabled

interface.config.name = interface_name        #<== interface.name should have the same value as interface.config.name

interface.ethernet.config.auto_negotiate="false"

(...more)

return self.codec.encode(self.provider, interfaces)

In the openconfig-interfaces.yang, the openconfig-interfaces:interfaces/interface/name is a "leafref" referring to openconfig-interfaces:interfaces/interface/config/name (bolded line). If I understand correctly, because "leafref" was used in the YANG model, the openconfig-interfaces:interfaces/interface/name will take whatever value the openconfig-interfaces:interfaces/interface/config/name has. However, the above code doesn't pass the value of openconfig-interfaces:interfaces/interface/config/name to openconfig-interfaces:interfaces/interface/name. So the returned config data looks like:

{

"openconfig-interfaces:interfaces": {

"interface": [

{

"name": "None",

"config": {

"name": "GigabitEthernet0/0/0/0",

"enabled": false

},

"openconfig-if-ethernet:ethernet": {

"config": {

"auto-negotiate": false

}

}

}

]

}

}

As we see here, the openconfig-interfaces:interfaces/interface/name got a "None" value instead of "GigabitEthernet0/0/0/0".

Is this an expected behavior in YDK-gen? or am I missing something to make the leafref statement works (as I expected, maybe this YANG leafref is enforced on the device but not in YDK-gen?)?

Thanks,

Binh

1 Reply 1

abhirame
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

YDK is not designed to automatically populate the leafref references. User is expected to fill in the valid values for the leafrefs