Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 892 - IPSec VPN from AnyConnect (Windows 10) not working

Lukas Krejci
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a client machine with Cisco AnyConnect on Windows 10, that is not able to connect to the Cisco 892 router to establish the IPSec VPN tunnel (authenticated using group name and password and user name and password).

The client sees the VPN gate, but then it does not ask any credentials and ends with error about not able to establish the connection.

Before, we have used the Cisco VPN Client application in Windows (I assume the AnyConnect predecessor), and it is working fine, even now I have tested that the Cisco VPN Client is able to establish this VPN tunnel. But the Cisco VPN Client cannot be installed on Windows 10 machine.

Here is information about the Cisco 892 router:

- CISCO892W-AGN-E-K9, C890 Software (C890-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.1(4)M5, RELEA,

- ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(22r)YB3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@Lukas Krejci no I am pretty sure a group name/password is not supported with anyconnect.

If you want to continue to use a cisco router for remote access VPN, then you'd need to convert the router configuration to FlexVPN.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/flexvpn/200555-FlexVPN-AnyConnect-IKEv2-Remote-Access.html

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

@Lukas Krejci no I am pretty sure a group name/password is not supported with anyconnect.

If you want to continue to use a cisco router for remote access VPN, then you'd need to convert the router configuration to FlexVPN.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/flexvpn/200555-FlexVPN-AnyConnect-IKEv2-Remote-Access.html

Lukas Krejci
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you @Rob Ingram for your great answer. Now I can see what is the cause of this problem.

However, before I upgrade the VPN to the IKEv2, it would be great, if there is any tool, that I can use, to connect to the IPSec VPN from the Windows 10 remote machine. So before this thread is closed, can you clarify, if there is ANY way to coonect the mentioned IPSec VPN tunnel from the Windows 10 using either any third-party tool or Windows native capabilities?

@Lukas Krejci It sounds like you've got a legacy configuration that would not be supported by a Windows VPN client nor AnyConnect. You can certainly run FlexVPN configuration using the native Windows VPN client, example here is for Windows 7 but will work on Windows 10.