Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Anyconnect clients routing routes

ibarra083
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a doubt about the behaivor of the Cisco ASA on the Anyconnect clients routing.

I can see that every time a Anyconnect client establishes a VPN connection with the ASA, a static route entry is created in the routing table of the ASA.

What ASA characteristic creates this static routes?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your question is not clear to me. Are you asking about the static route that is added to the routing table of the ASA for the IP address assigned to the client for this session? Or are you asking about some other static route?

When the AnyConnect client establishes a VPN session it is assigned an IP address from the configured pool. The ASA creates an entry in the routing table that associates the assigned pool address with the peer address of the client. The ASA uses this to be able to know how to send traffic to the VPN user to the correct remote IP address.

So the ASA characteristic is the effective use of the pool of IP addresses used for AnyConnect.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your question is not clear to me. Are you asking about the static route that is added to the routing table of the ASA for the IP address assigned to the client for this session? Or are you asking about some other static route?

When the AnyConnect client establishes a VPN session it is assigned an IP address from the configured pool. The ASA creates an entry in the routing table that associates the assigned pool address with the peer address of the client. The ASA uses this to be able to know how to send traffic to the VPN user to the correct remote IP address.

So the ASA characteristic is the effective use of the pool of IP addresses used for AnyConnect.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the answer, that's what I wanted to know.

I was not sure about why a new static route with the Anyconnect client assigned IP address was created every time a new VPN session is established.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: