Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSec config problem...

polarisncg
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am facing some problem when I apply IPsec on one of our circuit..

1. I have 3600 router (flash:c3660-jk9s-mz_122-6a.bin) at my end and 2651XM ( flash:c2600-ik9s-mz.123-5b.bin) at other end.

And I have 2Mpbs link with that site. Now when I apply IPsec on serial interface, the CPU utilisation reaches around 70%...

2. Secondly, After applying IPSec the link traffic gradually come down. If you see the link,

It will show you in the Full state..but traffic is not flowing..

Plz help me...

4 Replies 4

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

If you are running IPSEC over a 2Mbps line with fairly high traffic then this will certainly give you high CPU utilisation.

Is the traffic bursty, i.e. FTP traffic or similar.

This could be why the link traffic gradually comes down after a session has ended. Does it go back up again periodically.

If you haven't allready, you need to install encryption modules to use IPSEC effectively, even on a 2 Mbps link. I tried to get information about the encryption speed of 3DES ipsec using software only (no encryption card) from Cisco and was told that i needed to use an encryption card period.

The following link show's a listing of the differerent VPN modules you can use.

HTH

PD

Hi Paddy..

Many Many thanks for the info..

Ya actually the link is heavily utilised. Might be because of this the CPU utilisation going high.

Paddy, You have not mentioned the link from where I can get the info about different VPN modules.

Rgds,

Pankaj

Hi Paddy,

Thanks for sending the link.

It has solved my problem.

Rgds,

Pankaj