Views
Helpful
Replies

IPsec Windows peer : how to?

MercatorIneo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

There is something I don't understand. Maybe I am missing something, so I submit you my question.

When you look for example at the ASA 5505, you receive in the basic version (ASA5505-BUN-K9) 10 IPSec VPN Peers for only 2 SSL VPN Peers. As far as I know, there is no IPSec client compatible with Windows 8. Shrew is not option for me as it does not support group auth. Si IPSec is becoming more and more useles, except for router to router tunnels. The upgrade to 10 SSL licence is...costly. 

The 880 series router cost about the same as an ASA 5505 and include 10 or 20 licences (not clear, but enough anyway).

Did I miss something?

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

IPSec is not dead yet They have IKEv2, but using the AnyConnect client, and yes, you would need the AnyConnect license.

For SSL VPN, yes, you would need to buy license for ASA or IOS.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Instead of buying the AnyConnect premium license (which is user based license), you can buy AnyConnect Essential license, which is much cheaper. With AnyConnect Essential, you can use full tunnel SSL VPN, however, you won't be able to use any of the advanced feature of SSL VPN nor the Clientless SSL VPN.

If you just want the replacement for IPsec VPN, then AnyConnect Essential license will be enough.

For AnyConnect full tunnel on Windows 8 support, here is the minimum version and limitation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect31/release/notes/anyconnect31rn.html#wp1099267

Hope that helps.

Also, do you mean the 890 series router? Because most of the 880 series router is EOL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/prod_eol_notices_list.html

And you also need to purchase SSL VPN license on IOS router (it doesn't come free with the SSL license), unless you are running the older version of IOS.

Thanks for taking time.

So :

-IPSec is dead

-for SSL VPN, I have to buy licences (ASA or IOS)

Ok, thanks.

IPSec is not dead yet They have IKEv2, but using the AnyConnect client, and yes, you would need the AnyConnect license.

For SSL VPN, yes, you would need to buy license for ASA or IOS.