Level 1
Level 1

Cisco Systems, Inc. ®     Pushkar Sambhoos

Pushkar-Sambhoos.PNG
Comments
trebron1983
Community Member

Hi Pushkar,

Im not sure if i am in the correct forum to ask this question however I'll post the question anyways and if im not in the correct area please advise for future reference.

I am currently learning CCENT and am on the OSI model. In the text regarding MAC addresses:

"Although the source address will always be a unicast or single destination address, the destination address can be unicast , multicast (a determined subset of nodes), or broadcast (all nodes in a broadcase domain) address"

I understand the first part, a MAC address on the source PC is a single destination address on a LAN but the second part is confusing. Is it saying the although the MAC address on the LAN a single address, it can be a part of a multicast (group of nodes) or a broadcast (all nodes). Or has the single MAC address have other capabilities being a multicast and broadcast? Im confused!!

Cheers,
Norbert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links