cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CDA or AD Agent and Windows Update

Josh H
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a question about the need for the CDA/AD Agent.  I understand they help resolve issues with applications which don't send username information, such as Windows Update by mapping IPs to usernames.  If I use CDA/AD Agent, will this allow Windows Update and similar programs to work without the need for special no-auth identities?  Currently I have these working with no-auth identities based on destination URLs now, but this is frustrating as I do not see the user traffic for these sites associated with their username in reports.  This is an explicit proxy environment using IP surrogates and no shared computing resources (no Citrix).

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Atazazuddin Shaikh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Josh

Thanks for reaching out,  Short answer is yes with the CDA " Windows Update and similar programs to work without the need for special no-auth identities will work fine as long as their is a ip to username mapping exist on the WSA",  but if  any client machines are not part of the AD/Domain updates form those client will fail.  To deal with those machines we can enable "Guest" access as a fallback on the Identity.

Thanks

Zack

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Atazazuddin Shaikh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Josh

Thanks for reaching out,  Short answer is yes with the CDA " Windows Update and similar programs to work without the need for special no-auth identities will work fine as long as their is a ip to username mapping exist on the WSA",  but if  any client machines are not part of the AD/Domain updates form those client will fail.  To deal with those machines we can enable "Guest" access as a fallback on the Identity.

Thanks

Zack

Josh H
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your prompt reply.  We are a very locked down environment and only intend to allow internet access for clients which are in AD.  We have Blue Coat today using the BCAAA AD agent and Windows Updates and similar programs work fine with it.  I had hoped to avoid an AD agent/CDA with WSA.  But knowing it will resolve my issue of applications which do not send identity information, I think it is worth the hassle of setting up.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: