Task NameUCSD - RedHat Satellite Server Integration
Description
Prerequisites
  1. Tested on 5.3.1
CategoryWorkflow
ComponentsvSphere 5.x
User Inputs

Instructions for Regular Workflow Use:

1. Download the attached .ZIP file below to your computer. *Remember the location of the saved file on your computer.
  2. Unzip the file on your computer. Should end up with a .WFD file.
  3. Log in to UCS Director as a user that has "system-admin" privileges.
  4. Navigate to "Policies-->Orchestration" and click on "Import".
  5. Click "Browse" and navigate to the location on your computer where the .WFD file resides. Choose the .WFD file and click "Open".
  6. Click "Upload" and then "OK" once the file upload is completed. Then click "Next".
  7. Click the "Select" button next to "Import Workflows". Click the "Check All" button to check all checkboxes and then the "Select" button.
  8. Click "Submit".
  9. A new folder should appear in "Policies-->Orchestration" that contains the imported workflow. You will now need to update the included tasks with information about the specific environment.

Many thanks go out to Kevin Chua and Ryan Criss.

Information and back ground:

The attached UCSD content contains seven (7) various tasks that were created to get a newly provisioned VM (from customer template) to be assigned to the Red Hat Satellite server and get it’s Puppet manifest executed.  All of the custom tasks leverage appropriate UCSD Credential Policies (I.e., common credential policy for newly provisioned Vms, and then a credential policy for the Satellite Capsule server).

At the time of development and test of these tasks, this was written to UCSD 5.3.0.1  and Red Hat Satellite API access is via HTTP.

The task called “Satellite CreateHost” will create a JSON Payload and then perform a REST PUT operation.  Whereas the task called “Satellite RetrieveIDs”, performs multiple REST GET operations and parses the JSON response for an “id” value that is passed as outputs.

The other tasks are SSH tasks that will perform CLI commands on the appropriate host vm. These tasks execute CLI commands with sudo since the customer has locked down their environment.  Additionally, the more complex commands that require variable substitutions are variable strings.

The custom workflow tasks:

Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 9.26.08 AM.png

The API Guide Used:

Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 12.55.31 PM.png

Comments
dcaplan
Community Member

My name is David Caplan and I am a product manager for Satellite 6. I am interested to learn more about this integration example. I have a customer that is asking if we help get his work updated to the latest version of Satellite 6.2.2 (soon to be 6.2.3). Please let me know if the Cisco team is still active in this area. My email is dcaplan@redhat.com.

Many thanks

Orf Gelbrich
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just replied to you in regular e-mail.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card